Looking for good tradesmen is a process which if not well thought out, can lead to frustration. If you are looking for someone to engage in plumbing, electrical work, or any other activity that needs tradesmen, you should put a lot of consideration into it, and ensure that you ask the right questions.
Questions for Tradesmen When Hiring
- What is your experience? You should first ask them about their qualifications, and go even deeper, by enquiring them about their experience. For instance, if you have a specific make of piping and you are looking for a plumber, you should probably ask if they have worked with that kind of equipment before.
- How much do you charge? The discussion on how much they will charge for their services should be explored before you sign a contract. Make sure that they are clear on whether they will charge extra for anything, and the method of payment they expect.
- Are you insured? There have been horrifying reports of tradesmen being fatally injured while they are on duty. Anything could happen, and it is vital to be prepared for any emergency. The person you are hiring should be insured so that you are covered by liability.
- How long will the work take? It can be frustrating waiting every day for the tradesmen to finish the work, only for them to tell you that they will need more days. Once you have explained the situation, they should give you an estimate of how long it will take for them to finish the work.
- What happens if you do not show up? Most tradesmen always insist on a down payment before they commit to working for you. You should ask them what happens if they do not show up. Will they send someone else, or do they offer you a refund?
Ask all the important questions so that there is clarity before you start engaging them. This reduces disappointments and frustration.